From its inception in 1975, RPSBS has been committed to keeping in touch with its members through printed newsletters, magazines and journals and, since 2005, the Annual. These printed publications contain so much of the history of RPSBS: they show how remarkably it has grown from relatively small beginnings to the point where Riding Ponies are unquestionably the dominant force in Australian show rings and are increasingly moving successfully in to other equestrian disciplines, most notably pony dressage. They also document the ponies that have had significant input into the development of the breed and the breeders who have been passionate in their quest for the ‘ultimate Riding Pony’.
That history can be all too easily lost. Commencing with the 2011 Annual, the National Board began publishing the Annual each year as an e-Annual on this website in order to ensure each Annual was preserved and also to make it accessible to a much wider audience than just RPSBS members.
The Board’s Promotional Committee has been aware for some time that the National Office does not have a complete set of the Society’s newsletters, yearbooks and annuals. In 2013 the Board commenced a project to source and electronically save all this material and publish it to the website. With the assistance of two former Board members, Dalveen Gregory of Rathowen Stud and Julia Youl of Fairfield Stud, the task of sourcing this material was completed in late 2013. The process of scanning and saving the material electronically was also completed in 2013 and then began the long, slow job of converting the files to e-publications.
All of the Society’s publications from the first two page newsletter published in March 1977 to the 2015 40th Anniversary edition of the Annual are now in the Library. Just click on a title’s link below to go to the e-publication of your choice.
Click on the link below for easy to follow guidelines to help you get the most out of the Library by learning how to use navigation, search and other tools.
Getting The Most Out Of The Library
Use these simple tips to help you navigate through each title in the Library.
- Flip pages by clicking on the arrow at the right or left of each page or in the toolbar at the bottom of your screen. Right pointing arrows will take you to the next page spread; left pointing arrows will take you to the previous page spread. The double arrows in the toolbar will take you to the front and back pages of each e-publication.
- Turn pages as you would in a hard copy book by clicking and dragging on the top or bottom outer edge of a page.
- To go to a specific article use one of the top two icons on the left of your screen to open either a Table of Contents or a Thumbnails panel on your screen. In Table of Contents view click on the title of the article you want to go to. In Thumbnail view click on the page spread you want to open.
- To go to a specific ad in an e-publication use the Table of Contents icon to navigate to the Index of Advertisers and click on the page number beside the advertiser’s name.
- To open an advertiser’s website from an ad in any Annual from 2011 onwards click on the web address in the ad. (This facility is not available in e-publications prior to 2011.)
- Use the Screen icon at the right hand side of the navigation bar at the bottom of your screen to expand the e-publication to full screen view. This will take away the navigation bars and tools. To collapse the view so that you can use the navigation tools press the ‘Esc’ key on the top left of your keyboard.
- To zoom in or out on a page use the Magnifying Glass icon in the bottom navigation bar. If you are in full screen view you can zoom in or out on a page by clicking on it.
- The Auto Flip icon (next to the magnifying glass) will start turning pages automatically. To stop at a particular spread just click on the Auto Flip icon again.
- Use the Bookmark icon (a page with a ribbon hanging from the top) to mark pages that you want to return to later.
- To write notes on a page use the Notes icon (a pen positioned over a blank page). Click on the icon to open the notes screen, type your note and then click the Add button. Position your note where you want it on the page and click Save.
- Use the Highlight icon (a paintbrush) to highlight areas of text or photos. Click on the paintbrush to turn Highlight on and then drag the paintbrush that appears on your screen to the area you want to highlight. Click and drag to add the highlight. To remove a highlight drag the paintbrush and position it over the highlight and click on it. A yellow panel will appear on your screen. Click on the X at the top right of the panel. A message will come up asking you if you want to delete the highlight. If you want to change the colour of the highlight click on the coloured box at the bottom right of the message panel to open the colours palette. Drag the paintbrush to the colour you want to use and click on it.
- Below the Table of Contents and Thumbnail icons on the navigation bar on the left of your screen there are icons that let you email a link to the e-publication to a friend or share the link on a social network such as Facebook or Twitter. You can also print pages or save them as PDF files. These tools are all self-explanatory and simple to use. Just click on an icon and follow the instructions.
Have fun browsing the Library.