DNA Testing / Regulations
CHANGES TO REQUIREMENTS FOR DNA TESTING
- It is no longer a Riding Pony Stud Book Society Ltd requirement that a veterinarian collect the mane hair samples for DNA testing. The owner can pull hairs from the mane and attach to the card with the sticker supplied as per the instructions on the card.
- A Vet Identification form is no longer required.
- These changes have been made because the DNA of at least one parent of a registered Riding Pony is available (with the exception of some progeny of very old stallions).
- Please note that it is the responsibility of the owner of the animal being DNA typed to ensure correct identification.
CHANGES TO REQUIREMENTS FOR REGISTRATION OF ANIMALS CONCEIVED USING ARTIFICIAL INSEMINATION
- Lodgement of an AI Record form is no longer required prior to mare insemination.
- Mares may be DNA typed at any time prior to registration of the resultant foal.
- The above changes to requirements for DNA testing apply.
- Please note that it is the responsibility of the owner of the animal being DNA typed to ensure correct identification. If there is any doubt about the identity of the mare it is recommended that DNA typing be done before insemination.